Care and Handling for Consumers
- Select Mushrooms without visible moisture on the outside or in the pack
- To store bulk/loose mushrooms, place in a paper bag or keep in the original package and refrigerate.
- Mushrooms with open veils have more intense flavor and are usually better when cooked.
- To clean mushrooms, use a soft brush to remove any traces of peat moss or soil; or rinse quickly and pat dry.
- Soaking fresh mushrooms or rinsing open veiled mushrooms may add excess moisture.
For more on care and handling in a foodservice establishment, click here. Foodservice.
For more on care and handling in a retail store, click here. Retail.